Monday 8 September 2014

CHARACTERS in a STORY - The archetypes Part VI

 
In the last post I finished a brief description of the characters in a story. As a pre-conclusion I need to add a simple idea. Why I put the protagonist in the centre of the character's wheel? And why I made that wheel as a ring surrounding the protagonist? It's very simple. Because in a story, these character's archetypes can move from place to place. A close friend or journey's companion can also be a mentor, or a blocker or even the antagonist in the story. The antagonist can have a finale where he regrets his own actions and helps the protagonist finalizing his/her journey. All the twists you give to the story will enrich it and the arch of every character is the way you give them that twists and how they change during the action of the story (I will tell you about the arch in the next posts).
 
When I write in this blog I don't intend to do an academic essay or a eloquent theory like other writers did before in a much better way (here three of good books you may want to read). There are out in this world many people who really know about the business. And I'm not one of them. Of course I know a lot but definitely less than the masters. My posts are, as I named them: THE BASICS of SCRIPTWRITING and it's all they intend to be basic help. They are just some advices for the beginners on how to start or just quick reminders to the ones who already write. They also help myself to keep them in mind all the time. One of the best ways to learn is to teach.
 
I did participate in a couple of scriptwriters' panels including in Universities and what I found is a bit shocking. There are loads of people trying to write but they don't have a clue about any of the techniques, structure, story, characters and everything else you need to write a good story.
 
To be a good scriptwriter you need some these basic rules and of course creativity. I can help with the rules. For the creativity, each one of you must work on it, reading, watching loads of movies (And that includes all the ones of the History of the Cinema starting as earlier as Georges Méliès and D.W. Griffith etc.) and of course writing. Writing a lot. 
 




D.W.Griffith



No comments: