Wednesday 18 May 2016

A NEW PROJECT


I'm starting my most ambitious project ever. So I decided to keep on the Heroes and Villains a kind of diary giving tips where am I at every moment. That will give an idea of the time taken to develop a new script.

The beginning was an idea of the theme. Simple and naked.

It was last year when I was talking about my home town with other writers and they said something like "wow... that can be an amazing script".

I don't tell you the story of my town... for now, because that will immediately will lead to the theme of my script... so I'm keeping it in secret.
Anyway, when my fellow writers mentioned about, I suddenly realised I lived so many years with an amazing theme just next door. As usual, just because is under our noses, we can´t see it.
This proves that sometimes the best ideas are in front of your eyes. Just look for it. You don’t need to push your brain too much to get a good one. And do not try to make it very complex in the beginning. You’ll have time to develop it.

So, after the initial idea I’ve started my research. Since is based on real events, I did some interviews, visited locations and read, at least, three books specifically on the subject, plus two or three about scriptwriting. The first ones gave me insight on the subject, interesting facts and fine details and helped me to feel comfortable on the subject. The second ones kept me focus in the scriptwriting technics, structures, character buildings etc. Even after many years writing, it’s always good to do new refreshment on “rules” before you start a new project.

This period last me for about 6 months. A slow pace moment since I don´t have any pressure at the moment and I want to be as much accurate and plausible as possible. At the same time during this time I started to design the story line and I created the main characters and some of the secondary ones. My script board is already full of notes!

My next stage it will be to create the treatment. You will find that the more you research the easier the treatment will be. And a good log line also will turn up. I already have one… But it is secret!

Keep an eye for next posts. I’m a bit busy at the time at the York Mystery Plays, but I will try my best to do my work and to post updates about my progression.

Next phase will be the TREATMENT.

No comments: